Tuesday, February 10, 2009

I hate Valentines!

I always get depressed around Valentines day... I really hate it, with a deep passion. There are several reasons for my dislike of this day: First, it's so ridiculously corporate. All the companies try and get you to buy overpriced knick-knacks or candy or flowers or champagne for your 'valentine.' Then there's the gift exchange, and all the happy couples snogging on the street. It makes me sick!

Of course, in all honesty, it all comes down to my envy of the happiness of all these people. Getting nice chocolates, flowers, and more importantly, the romance... I have been single every bloody valentines, and have never been privy to all these nice things. It has been this way since I was dumped exactly 7 years ago to the day by my first boyfriend. How can someone do that so close to valentines? It was horrible... It caused me such emotional harm, and certainly contributed to my massive depression in school and to some extent here at university.

My depression is mostly over now- though I still get moody and glum at times (like I have been for the last couple days). Still, I want the romance and happy exchange of trivial gifts that people lucky enough to be in relationships get at valentines...

Of course, this is another issue I have with the day... Why do people need valentines to encourage, nay, force them to be romantic? Shouldn't people be spontaneous - surely it is more romantic to give flowers and chocolates and champagne without encouragement from some corporatised saint's day?

Grrrr to the world!

No comments: